As part of a year of celebrations, January 10th saw humble contractors locomotive ‘Sir Berkeley’ (built in 1891 by Manning Wardle of Leeds) in service with Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway Tri-composite carriage no 176 (built in 1876) and Southern Railway Brake Corridor Third no 3554 (built in July 1924 by the Metropolitan Carriage, Wagon & Finance Company for the Southern Railway). The Vintage Carriages Trust ran three Ingrow – Keighley specials to mark the arrival of these 2 coaches in 1965, the first passenger vehicles to arrive on the line. Continue reading
On the 19th January 1965 Manning Wardle 0-6-0 saddle tank, ‘Sir Berkeley’ was delivered by road to Haworth, to be followed in the first months of 1965 by the first two coaches for the nascent Keighley & Worth Valley Railway. These two vehicles arrived at Keighley by rail and were stored in what is now Keighley Station car park but, back then, were sidings serving the adjacent station.
All three are now part of our Vintage Carriages Trust’s collection and will be in action on Saturday 10th January 2015 with 3 members’ shuttles between Ingrow and Keighley in celebration of these arrivals and the resultant founding of the Vintage Carriages Trust in the same year, set up to safeguard the future of antique and vintage rolling stock for future generations.